How to Add a Blog to Your WordPress Website: Do you have an existing business website on WordPress and wish to add a blog to your website? Although the default installation of WordPress is as a ‘blog’, a vast majority of business websites are setup on WordPress with static pages. If you have such a business website without an integrated blog, then you are missing out on significant amount of organic traffic. Adding a blog to your business website can greatly boost organic traffic by building a loyal subscriber base.
In this article, you will learn how to add a blog to your WordPress website so that your website is both a website and a blog. The homepage of your website will remain a static page for greeting visitors but there would be an additional “blog” page where readers would be able to view your recent posts.
Steps to Add a Blog to Your WordPress Website
We will use WordPress Dashboard for adding the blog to your website.
- First you need to create a blank page which would used for your WordPress blog
- Go to Dashboard, Pages and click on ‘Add New’
- Now, in the Add New Page, type a name for your blog page in the text box which says ‘Enter title here’
- I would recommend using Blog so that the URL for your blog page would become http://www.domain.com/blog
- Leave the text box blank, as WordPress would display your blog posts on this page
- Click the ‘Publish’ button on right
- A blank Blog page has now been published to your WordPress site
- Next, go to Dashboard, Settings and click on ‘Reading’
- In the ‘Reading Settings’ page, select the new Blog page which you have created in the ‘Posts page’ drop down list
- Click on ‘Save Changes’ at the bottom of the page
- You have successfully assigned the new Blog page and your blog can now be accessed at http://www.domain.com/blog
- As a last step, you need to add a link to your blog page on your home page so that new users landing on your website can access your blog
Congratulation, you have successfully added blog to your existing WordPress website and this blog will now automatically list any new posts which you would write.
If you wish to read further about setting up a WordPress blog then you could read our step-by-step guide How to Start a Free Blog in 6 Easy Steps.